Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why??

That word, although short, is implemented frequently in conversations. It is used as a cry of despair as someone does not understand what is taking place in their life (think of when you lost a loved one suddenly or experienced a natural disaster). It is used demonstratively as an obstinate term to question another person's motives or actions (ever been in a meeting when someone disagreed with a decision and demanded to be told why?). It is used to press someone when you do not get your way (think of a toddler that is told "no").

As I face my own uncertainty and odd circumstances, this question seems to emerge. So, let's ask the question and explore the answer. Why? So that God can get the glory! I Corinthians 10:31 says: "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." Why pain? Why uncertainty? God will get the glory in everything; so, we have to trust in that during those times.

Let's take that word "why" and apply it in different situations. Chely Wright, a country singer, has a song with the following line: "Why do I do what I do when I don't know what I'm doing?" Go back and re-read it because I missed it the first time. Why is it that I react in a particular fashion when I am confused and have no clue what I should be doing? That is the essence of our human behavior. Christians should answer that question by saying -- when all is unclear, I specifically seek ways to glorify God and not myself.

Really answer this question here: why do you try to do your best at work? Is it to make money? Is it for recognition? Is it to gain a promotion? The answer should be no. We should be seeking to glorify God with our actions at work and that will mean doing our best. Our motives reveal what or Who we serve; so the key is to ensure that we live I Corinthians 10:31 everyday.

Focus on glorifying God and the rest will fall into place. He is in control anyway; so rest in Him and glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment