Monday, October 18, 2010

The Court of Providential Opinion....

As we continue to move through I Corinthians, chapter 6 was a rather interesting read. The chapter opens with an explanation that Christians should not sue other Christians. While I am familiar with this passage, I saw something tonight that I had never seen before. Verse 7: "Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated?" OUCH!!

Our society is the swiftest on the draw when it comes to suing others or taking them to court for small matters. Paul here is not addressing criminal issues but civil ones that focus on where someone wronged someone else. These matters could and should be resolved in other fashions, and Paul was urging Christians -- those that love God and are considered His servants -- to ignore those slights. He does not explain why other than that others are watching our actions.

Let's go deeper here. Why do most people go to civil court? Civil court consists of compensatory damages whereby one party must "pay" the other party for a wrong that was enacted. Ultimately, this action is a legal way to prove that "my right" or "my way" was was just and to make the other person pay. In a sense, these types of cases are all about personal pride. Truthfully, that hurts.

I admit that I have a significant ego and lots of personal and professional pride; however, as a Christian, I cannot allow that to rule my personal or professional choices. Proverbs 16:18 says that "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." I may use my pride to prove a point, and win in the short term; however, I will eventually lose the war. Pride is the oldest of all sins and, honestly, is the root of all sins too because it is all about me and my choices.

Paul offers the solution to this when he urges Christians to accepts wrong or to give up what they perceive as "rights" for the cause of Christ. Since our major purpose is to glorify God in everything we do, then our choices must reflect what will bring Him the most glory. Will standing on personal pride to get what we want bring Him glory? Hardly. Will surrendering our wills to His, even when it stings, show others that something is different about us? Yes.

The world needs to see a difference in our lives. We may talk about being different and what Christ has done for us; but until we live our words, they have little meaning. Remember what verse 11 tells us: "but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." My opinion does not matter because He cleaned me up, set me apart for His purpose, and paid the price for my sin. If He paid a price that I cannot pay, then I owe Him my life because He has purchased me. Being owned by Him means that I enact His dictates willingly - even when it means being slighted by others.

See, it has nothing to do with me but has everything to do with Him. OUCH! I've got some changing to do. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment