Thursday, November 4, 2010

Is This Love that I'm Feeling?

Growing up in the 80s, I was a child of the big hair bands. I would slip into my brother's room to listen to his records or delight to ride with him in the car to hear this "strange" music. While I cannot remember the name of the group or the name of the song, a hit had a line that matches the title of this blog -- "Is this love that I'm feeling?" As we turn to the last chapter of I Corinthians, this question looms large.

I Corinthians 16:14 says: "let all that you do be done in love." That's a pretty strong statement - ALL that you do. Honestly, I fail with that dictate because I do not do everything out of love. In fact, I do some things just to spite people; and that reaction is not "Christian" because it, in no way, is the example that Jesus established for us.

Love, in this verse, is the Greek word agape. It references good will, benevolence, or affection. The word is based upon a term that can be utilized for people or things. When the intent is for people, the implication is a welcoming or entertaining spirit in that the action undertaken is totally for the benefit of the other person. In referencing things, the underlying assumption is being contented with the "thing."

Think of that in your daily life. Are you contented with the current possessions that you have or the status of your life? If not, then you are not doing things in love. What about others? Do you take steps to be welcoming to others and entertain them at personal cost of your time, efforts, or desires? If not, then you are not doing all things in love.

The initial word of the verse "let" is something you would not expect. It means to come upon the stage of men appearing in public. In other words, we become actors with a specific part to play, and that part is to do everything in love. The key here is to remember that acting is a choice -- you typically have to "try out" for the part. If we are called Christians, then we can say with David in Psalms 34:8 - we have tasted and seen that the Lord is good. We have "tried out" and been given the part.

How well do you obey this dictate? Do you love every person and every thing that comes into your life? If not,you, like I, need to change your heart and allow the love of God to permeate every facet of the life....

No comments:

Post a Comment