Friday, March 5, 2010

Work, Worry, and...is she sitting down??

For my devotions, I have taken a short break from intensively studying a single book in the Bible. Instead, I am reading several chapters a day from the New Testament with the goal of reading it through twice this calendar year. Today's reading took me through chapters 9, 10, 11, and 12 of Luke. It is amazing how you can read something, not for the first time, and a new principle leaps off the pages at you.

Luke 10:38-42 contains the story of Jesus in the home of Lazarus. We all know that Martha was running around serving and complained about Mary just sitting at Jesus feet. We also know that Christ said Mary has chosen the better thing. We could also describe several sermons that we have heard from this passage.

However, notice the way Jesus begins His statement to Martha: "you are worried and troubled about many things." How often have you run around and worried or were anxious and struggled with the difficulties of life? If you are honest, these worries arise more frequently than we would like to admit. Jesus recognized that Martha had these anxious times, but He goes on to say that Mary "has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." WOW!! Get that - one is anxious and running around, by choice, while one is sitting calm at the feet of Jesus, BY CHOICE!!!

I had never seen that principle before. We either choose to sit at Jesus' feet knowing that He can, and will, take care of us, or we jump up and run around like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off. I can choose to try and solve my piece of this problem my way or I can choose the peace of Jesus leaving it all for Him to handle. There is a wonderful song on my wife's iPod, and it has the following line: "Sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child." How true! Remember, though, your response to the difficulty is what makes the difference. If we turn to Him and sit at His feet, thereby totally giving Him the problem, then He will grant us peace.

You are probably thinking: "Wait, that's just too easy." No, it's not easy or simple. Currently, we are awaiting the birth of our second child AND my job is in jeopardy. Have I worried about it? Yes. Is worrying going to do anything about it? No. God is in control and will take care of us either way. If I had missed the principle in Luke 10, then I would have gotten the message in Luke 12:22-31. See, it was Providential that I read these 4 chapters in the same day because I needed this reminder! Luke 12:28 closes with a great statement by Jesus: "O, you of little faith." That's the issue -- having enough faith to give up the problem and just sitting down to watch Jesus work.

What problem are you struggling with today? Have you really been able to solve it? Give it to Him, sit down, wait, and watch Him work. The Lord has never let me down in the past, and He will not in the future. He will do the same for you, but remember, there is a caveat in Romans 8:28 -- "all things work together for God to them that love God." To exhibit faith in Him, you must first love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment